• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Orange Inc. to Release e-Bookstore Service emaqi Featuring Manga This Summer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm disgusted that this is Shogakukan's entry into the English speaking market outside of Asia. You publish so much great manga and this is what you use to sell to customers? Pathetic.
Rodem

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Flower Comics label I love you but alas looks like ill have to add Shogakukan books to my list of “books i will only pirate or buy second hand” Sad.

As someone whose been studying Japanese for a number of years in hopes of becoming a professional manga translator, I won’t lie in that seeing that publishers would rather resort to “ai” (and then have actual translators and editors do a bulk of the work for even less pay) than giving translators a fair wage is a huge blow…. (and also gives me even more motivation to do unauthorized translation aka “scanlations” instead…..)

Sigh or maybe this will just resort to nothing and the “500 titles” a month will just be the shlock that floods the front page of jp ebook sites. who knows..::
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:15 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
I'm disgusted that this is Shogakukan's entry into the English speaking market outside of Asia. You publish so much great manga and this is what you use to sell to customers? Pathetic.

I mean, technically Shogakukan's first "entry into the English speaking market outside of Asia" was Viz Media, since Shogakukan has been the primary owner of that company pretty much since its inception (Shueisha only became co-owner when it decided to launch Shonen Jump in English), but the overall point stands true.

The fact that they raised so much money already on the promise of AI translation is sad, because we all know that if the promise was simply "We want to pay our translators better, so as to make sure they deliver the absolute best translation possible" it's obvious that they wouldn't have raised even 1% of that money.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
DamianSalazar wrote:

I mean, technically Shogakukan's first "entry into the English speaking market outside of Asia" was Viz Media, since Shogakukan has been the primary owner of that company pretty much since its inception (Shueisha only became co-owner when it decided to launch Shonen Jump in English), but the overall point stands true.

I should have clarified outside of Viz Media, because Shueisha launched Manga Plus and I was kinda hoping Shogakukan would launch their own equivalent at some point.
thecowardlyantoine

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:17 pm Reply with quote
This has potential. I hope it goes well.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:43 pm Reply with quote
thecowardlyantoine wrote:
This has potential. I hope it goes well.

There is no potential in AI translation. Why do people not realize that? There is more work involved trying to clean up the slop spat out by an AI/MTL than actually having a human translate it from the very beginning. People are deceived nowadays because things like DeepL don't produce word salad like Google Translate does, and just because it reads semi-coherently, it must be more accurate (when it's still just a dumpster fire).
chikorita157

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:07 am Reply with quote
From the look of it, it’s already a dumpster fire as the translations Orange provides are trash.

https://famichiki.jp/@takosix/112393837358320049
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1